In Episode 25
Our crew sat down and snagged some interviews in the atrium at php[world] in Tyson’s Corner, Virginia. This episode packs a lot into one hour and 13 minutes.
- Practical static analysis tools like Psalm and PHPStan and moving away from DocBlocks to using native PHP 7 type hints.
- John reflects on how his first talk went and the keys to giving a good talk.
- Cal Evans on php[world], the breadth of the PHP community, new stuff in PHP 7.4, searching for PHP related information online, and his new role with SiteGround.
- Taylor Otwell discusses how Laravel started, what’s new in Laravel 6, the potential impact of PHP 7’s JIT compiler, focusing on open-source and educational efforts in 2020, and funding open-source work.
- Gary Hockin goes over his advice in Community Corner about getting started in public speaking, how speaking at conferences can impact your career, and how to choose talk topics.
- Samantha Quiñones chats about her keynote at php[world], the history of computing, COBOL, preparing talks, PHP’s strength as a web-first language, and working at SkillShare.
The post Interviews from php[world]: Cal Evans, Taylor Otwell, Samantha Quiñones, and Gary Hockin appeared first on php[architect].
In this Episode
We’re trying a new format in this episode. Eric, John, and Oscar recorded together. Let us know what you think of the new format? Should we keep it?
- Eric and John get a look behind the scenes into what goes into producing each magazine issue.
- Call for Writers – get feedback on talk/article proposals.
- From the March magazine issue: scaling your database, owning your content with Indieweb, OAuth and CSRF protection, the benefits of type hints in PHP 7 code, Margaret Staples’ survey results for Women in History month and more.
- An interview with Barry O’Donovan about migrating legacy applications to Laravel, his involvement with PHP, and PHP’s reputation in other communities.
The post Building Bridges appeared first on php[architect].
In this episode
A look at the Setting Up to Succeed issue for the month of January 2018 issue featuring articles to start the new year right. Share your thoughts on the topics covered and leave a comment below.
- Eric and John discuss the January features on background processing with queues, securing your website with Burp Suite, PHP Generators and more and more
- Oscar looks at what 2018 has in store for PHP, particularly when support for PHP 5 and PHP 7.0 will end and the RFCs proposed for inclusion an an upcoming release.
- An interview with Joe Ferguson about his monthly Artisanal column and Laravel Collections.
The post Episode 6: Setting Up to Succeed appeared first on php[architect].