Editor-in-Chief Oscar Merida records a mini-episode. In this first one, he looks at some RFCs submitted for PHP 7.4 and 8.0, and a new tool for detecting memory leaks with PHP Unit. Also, don’t forget to register to attend and support Symfony’s speaker workshop which starts soon. Details are in the episode and links are in the show notes below.
The post Editor’s Desk: PHP 7.4 RFCs, Symfony Speaker Workshop, Call for Writers appeared first on php[architect].
In this Very Special Episode
Eric Van Johnson, John Congdon, Chris Holland, and Oscar Merida recorded this episode live at php[world] just last week. Share your thoughts on the topics covered and leave a comment below.
You can read Chris Holland’s The Case for Generics in PHP article online for free.
- Eric, John, and Oscar talk about snowy weather in Virginia.
- The value of attending conferences and user groups, both in attending talks and networking.
- Preparing and finding writers for the magazine and selecting talks for conferences.
- Chris Holland explains the value generics would bring to PHP.
The post Episode 15 – Generics and php[world] appeared first on php[architect].
In this Episode
Eric van Johnson and John Congdon wrapped up recording on episode 14. Share your thoughts on the topics covered and leave a comment below.
- Eric and John talk about stickers (again), PHP internals, understanding framework trade offs, John explains MySQL 8 window functions, burning out, sub-domain takeovers, and more.
- Oscar shares some lessons re-learned about software estimates and onboarding for a new project.
- Marcia Burrows talks about writing learning games for Atari in assembler, picking up PHP and web development, why she’s known as “The Logical Woman”, speaking at Pacific Northwest, and how she used PHP+HTML5+MySQL to prototype and iterate on her board game.
The post Episode 14 – Prototyping with PHP appeared first on php[architect].
In this Episode
Our hosts, Eric van Johnson and John Congdon dive into Testing in Practice and the April 2018 issue of php[architect] magazine. Share your thoughts on the topics covered and leave a comment below.
- Eric and John discuss unit testing, test suites, static analysis, authentication with Laravel and more.
- Oscar talks about the importance of training for employees, rants against image carousels, and requirements gathering.
- An interview with Robert Basic, one of the contributors to Mockery.
The post Episode 9: Testing in Practice appeared first on php[architect].
In this Episode
Our hosts, Eric van Johnson and John Congdon look at Long Running PHP the March 2018 issue of php[architect] magazine. Share your thoughts on the topics covered and leave a comment below.
- Eric and John go over the March features about writing daemons with PHP, Linux containers beyond Docker, accessibility, code reviews, and more.
- Oscar shares his experience recently upgrading a PHP 5 application to PHP 7.
- An interview with Chris Pitt, about the community in South Africa and his article on Evolving PHP.
The post Episode 8 – Long Running PHP appeared first on php[architect].
In this episode
A look at the Setting Up to Succeed issue for the month of January 2018 issue featuring articles to start the new year right. Share your thoughts on the topics covered and leave a comment below.
- Eric and John discuss the January features on background processing with queues, securing your website with Burp Suite, PHP Generators and more and more
- Oscar looks at what 2018 has in store for PHP, particularly when support for PHP 5 and PHP 7.0 will end and the RFCs proposed for inclusion an an upcoming release.
- An interview with Joe Ferguson about his monthly Artisanal column and Laravel Collections.
The post Episode 6: Setting Up to Succeed appeared first on php[architect].
The guys sit down and interview legendary PHP developer, runner and community organizer Adam Culp.
Kalen unveils a social network for Magento Developers, MageHero. Community members organize an event to close open questions on Magento Stackexchange.
- #magestackday https://sites.google.com/site/magestackday/home
- Sign up for our email and receive a FREE bonus episode and enter to win a hand-signed copy of Vinai Kopp’s Grokking Magento book! http://magetalk.com
- MageHero (previously known as “MageDevs”) online
- MageHero GitHub: https://github.com/kalenjordan/magehero