The first-ever LIVE episode recorded using Google Hangouts as labelled “MageTalk After Dark”. The guys make some predictions about what will happen at Imagine 2015.
- 2:45 Edgy TV Shows
- 4:30 Pre-Imagine Excitement
- 8:17 Speculating about Imagine
- 16:33 Magento2 Extension Challenge
- Correct: 1
- Incorrect: 5
- eBay Enterprise has a buyer
- Magento2 actual release date announced
- Magento2 certification announced
- Piotr’s tweet was about Roy Rubin’s announcement (it was really about Sherrie being named CM)
- Last Imagine
The guys drop fat beats while issuing knowledge bombs in the new “Lightning Round” segment
- 4:30 Magento News
- 8:25 Sites on Magento
- 11:49 Thanks Phillip
- 18:29 Boston Marathon / Brent Peterson
- 20:02 Weight loss discussion
- 22:17 Lighting Round
- Tom Robertshaw “this is awesome”
- Deployment strategies
- Magento Upgrades
- MageMail update
The guys set the record straight on a few things they got wrong, grill newly-hired Magento Evangelist Ben Marks about his role, ask hard questions (where are the forums?) and Ben name-drops with all of the PHP folks he’s getting to know in his newfound role.
- 9:48 Software release schedules around holidays and the idea of release candidates.
- 28:45 Kalen reminisces about his early days of working with Magento
- 29:32 Ben talks about how he got his start in teaching the Magento U courses and the filming of the first video that is still available online.
- 36:11 How Magento 2 is doing a better job of communicating with the community
- 38:50 Search in Magento
- 40:55 Ben talks about what it means being a Developer Evangelist for Magento and how he measures the success of the position
- 1:01:36 How can the community help Ben
- 1:03:07 Ben drops some hints about the new forum solution Magento is looking at for replacing the now read-only forums and a possibly timeline for its release.
Corrections for Ep12
- Colin Mollenhour never submitted code surrounding the improvements in indexing for EE 1.13, but he had exchanged emails with the core team on ideas. Piotr Kaminski clarified that there were already conversations happening internally along these same lines of thinking.
- Piotr also clarified that none of Kalen’s gloriously beautiful code was used in the responsive email designs for EE 1.14. It all came from Classy Llama. Props to the Llamas.
Links / Mentions
Mage Titans review is in – big hit! Sounds like a great new conference is here in the Magento Community! Phillip reviews Magento Live Germany 2014.
Kalen unveils a social network for Magento Developers, MageHero. Community members organize an event to close open questions on Magento Stackexchange.
- #magestackday https://sites.google.com/site/magestackday/home
- Sign up for our email and receive a FREE bonus episode and enter to win a hand-signed copy of Vinai Kopp’s Grokking Magento book! http://magetalk.com
- MageHero (previously known as “MageDevs”) online
- MageHero GitHub: https://github.com/kalenjordan/magehero
Phillip goes to Magento Live Germany and interviews some well-known Magento Community members
- Brent Peterson: https://twitter.com/brentwpeterson
- Akeneo: http://www.akeneo.com/
- Sylvain Rayé: https://twitter.com/sylvainraye
- Tobias Zander: https://twitter.com/airbone42
- Christian Münch: https://twitter.com/cmuench
Shellshock is a new vulnerability that’s taking the infosec world by storm – so the guys go deep on security today. Kalen is fascinated with a new book.
Listen until the very end!
Extension of the Week
— Magento Configuration Sync by Nick Jones