This time around we’re joined by Selena Deckelmann, who as a Postgres contributor
talks to us about some of the burning questions many PHP developers often have about Postgres
when considering it as a replacement for the PHP’s defacto-standard relational DB: MySQL.
We ask “Why are so few of the “cool kids” using Postgresql?” and “What are the most important differences between MySQL & Postgres?”, and after a bunch of useful discussion on things like true full text search,
complex indexes, PostGIS and Foreign Data Wrappers we end up discussing cider and chickens. Standard.
- Planet Postgres
- Taps – Simple database import/export app
- Multicorn – Unified data access library
- SQL Alchemy
- pgFouine – a PostgreSQL log analyzer
- JSON datatype – Store JSON directly in a Postgres field.
- Redis4You – Postgres 9.1 foreign data wrapper interface
- One man vs. his pet hate in life, Oreo cream – The proper way of solving life’s problems
Discuss this on Reddit.